Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 2




Come rain, or come shine

by Elisheva Offenbacher on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at 4:54pm

Well, yesterday, the weather gods had me confused with a postal carrier. Sleet, snow, sheeting rain, hail, fog and gusts of wind. The only major branch of weather I DIDN'T see yesterday was sun, even after crossing through 3 states. Ok, well,there was a very brief bit of sun in the Oregon farming valley that brought with it a stellar example of refracted light, but it all lasted only about 5 seconds, whence the pouring rain began again. If the Universe ever wanted to send me a sign that I should miss Seattle's climate, it missed it's opportunity last night as I am WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY beyond my quota of wet, windy and cold after my adventure so far.

I'd wanted to put out an update prior to sleeping last night but the inclement weather prohibited me doing anything except for focusing completely on NOT driving off the highway into any number of crevasses. I did, thankfully, find a very dark off the beaten path area to sleep and did so very well (a big THANK YOU to Pfizer, for that one!) That said, I am still alive, no thanks to the aforementioned weather gods, and am now, nearly a full day later, updating my crew. That's YOU, if you hadn't figured it out.

Today brought rain and snow as I traveled eastward from Red Bluff, CA into Nevada and will, any moment now, jaunt back down the eastern Sierra Nevadas toward Death Valley. The drive through Tahoe National Forest was both beautiful and similar to what we have all experienced in the Great Northwest. Though, just like our hometown mountain ranges, I too, grew tired of snow, trees and more of both. What can I say? I have a low focus threshold when driving for hours on end. I have yet to have my night full of stars as I'd so hoped, but the sunrise this morning was a nice short-term substitute. The desert also brings a bit of promise in that regard.

I'd love to be able to tell you exactly what's on my itinerary, but that would spoil the fun of the soon to be posted pictures. Madonna, the Beastie Boys and Spice Girls helped get me through the greater journey across the Golden State and now I am noised out, and will most likely ride along in silence for a few hours. Cheers, everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment